Head of Classics
Full-time post from September 2022
Dubai College is seeking to appoint an ambitious and intelligent Head of Classics teacher to run a Classics department in a British school overseas. Dubai College is one of the only few remaining schools in the world permitted to offer OCR GCSE Latin and OCR A Level Latin outside of the UK. The outgoing Head of Classics has built the department from scratch in 6 short years, during which time our students have achieved remarkable outcomes in public examinations with at least one student securing an Oxbridge place in a Classics-related discipline since the department opened. The second ever Head of Classics at Dubai College will want to build on the foundations of fun, creativity and academic rigour, which have been firmly set down by the current team. They will take overall responsibility for the effective running of the department through their management of a small team of three teachers (including the Headmaster). Their main responsibility will be to maximise student outcomes through inspirational teaching and effective use of the school systems for tracking, monitoring and intervention. They will also be expected to maintain the broad and imaginative range of extra-curricular activities already on offer including the Classics society, broom cupboard Greek, and overseas trips.
The successful candidate will have:
- A good honours degree in Latin language and literature and, ideally, a PGCE qualification with QTS
- An outstanding knowledge and understanding of the classical world and its contemporary relevance
- A strong track record of academic success (preferably in a highly selective coeducational school)
- Experience in preparing and securing students places at leading universities worldwide including Oxbridge
- The ability to manage a department of well qualified teachers
- Proven inspirational leadership skills in a demanding and dynamic environment
- Teaching skills which enable learners to achieve relative to their prior attainment, making progress as good as, or better than, similar learners nationally
- Excellent data analysis skills
In addition, the postholder must:
- Be able to demonstrate a clear positive impact on teaching and learning both in the classroom and a wider environment
- Be an enthusiastic and imaginative teacher with a genuine love of the subject, who can motivate and inspire students of all abilities using a wide range of teaching strategies
- Be a positive role model to students and staff, modelling effective strategies to them
- Be a successful leader who has a strong track record of bringing about effective and collaborative change in a variety of contexts including forging successful links with the community outside of the immediate school environment
- Be committed to his or her own professional development, and in particular to the use of IT as a tool for teaching and learning
- Be ambitious, energetic, enthusiastic and able to plan independently and collaboratively for the further development of the subject area and the school
- Share responsibility for the safeguarding of students
- Be empathetic to the ethos of the College
- Be willing to immerse themselves in the College’s extensive extra-curricular programme and general life
A full job specification for this role is available on our website http://www.dubaicollege.org/join-us/recruitment/teaching together with an application form.
Dubai College operates its own teaching scales. The contract of employment provides for a generous basic salary (currently tax free), medical insurance and terminal gratuity. In addition, allowances are available for full-time staff for accommodation and relocation as well as an annual flight allowance.
Dubai College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and we select staff that understand and share this commitment. All applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and obtain a Police Certificate or Good Conduct Certificate from the country the applicant last resided or was employed in, which may include Disclosure and Barring checks.
Applications should be sent by email to Michelle Hobson, Head of HR on email@example.com using the application form available on our website. The deadline for applications is Sunday 23rd January and interviews will be held the following week.